Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The good wife : a life as a lawyer, wife, mother, and woman.



Recently, I was fall in love with ‘The good wife’, a TV drama. It was broadcasted 2009~2010 in the United States. That one was season 1 and season 2 will be broadcasted soon, 27th September. After I watched season 1, I am looking forward watching season 2. This drama deals with law. A series of accident is so exciting that it is hard to wait to stop watching it.
The main character is ‘Alicia Florrick’, a woman who works as lawyer in a big law firm. Actually, she was a housewife for 15 years. However, her husband, an influential State’s attorney of Cook County resigned his job because he was swept in scandal. It changed her life dramatically. She restarted her life as a lawyer. She solved the cases coolly and logically. I felt catharsis when she defense logically and finally win in the court. Also there was a moral irony to think about. What a lawyer can do when she knows that her client is guilty? It made my mind dizzy.
There also are romance and friendship in this drama. She got troubled when her husband was swept in sex scandal. She felt serious sense of betrayal. At first she was very angry but slightly forgave her husband. However, love comes to her. She and her old friend ‘Will’ became an delicate relationship. Will helped her when she was in trouble by her husband. Will was her law school friend and they were always bad timing. Both of them seems loving each other but never apparent their mind directly. It makes their love more strongly and makes watchers nervous. Her friends in the law firm, Kallindar, Cary, Diane is also charming character. Kallindar is a detective in law firm and she keeps close relationship with Alicia.
Another impressive thing is that Alicia is a good mother. She never screams at her children. She always respects them and talks with them reasonably. She never interfere their children. However, her children grew well. And I thought it is interesting that Alicia got angered to her mother-in-law because she did something to Alicia’s children without any Alicia’s agreement. It was very strange thing in Korean because a woman cannot get angry to her mother-in-law. Anyway, it showed that Alicia had a very rigid her own plan for her child and really loved them.
Watching this drama I thought lawyer is an attractive job. So I even considered becoming a lawyer. I envied the confident and calm characteristics of Alicia. I want to become a person like Alicia. Also I got vicarious satisfaction watching when Alicia was finding her identity working as a lawyer escaped from one’s mother or one’s wife. And individually, I hope Alicia and Will show their mind more and fall in love in the next season. I recommend you to watch this drama!

4 comments:

  1. I love Law & Order SVU, short for special victims unit. There is also a smart female lawyer named Alex. Sharon Stone also appeared as a special guest on SVU as a lawyer on recent episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never watched this show, but I have seen the commercials and the main character definitely seems very strong. It is relatively common in the U.S. for mothers (not their mother-in-laws) to make decisions for their children. I can understand why Alicia would be angry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Gee Yon Seo
    Oh, I didn't see that drama but it seems interesting. I guess the heroine of the drama also attractive, right? I like law dramas. Thank you for introducing me new drama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @daysindaejeon
    Oh, I guess it's cultural differnece. Most koreans think that the younger should respect and obey the older. Especially, the relationship between mother-in-law and dauter-in-law is very difficult. Therefore, in any situation, woman cannot angry to her mother-in-law directy. So, it was hard for me to understand Alicia's behavior.

    ReplyDelete